Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday Musings.

Was up at 04:30am with my bride and we had coffee and cake, Yes we had a little early birthday celebration for Nicole last night. Since she we will spending her real birthday Thursday at her Dad’s for a small party. The butterfly was a delicious half white/ half chocolate cake with just the tastiest icing, no wonder Donna gets so many requests for cakes from her co-workers and friends. Thanks goodness I don’t have any friends or she would have to bake fulltime. It is over half gone, boy we went through it. I even had two small pieces of white cake since I figured it would have less sugar. Hey you only live once, and something is going to get you, no one get’s off the planet alive.
Today while it was still in the 70’s I went down to the garage and jacked John Deere up and measured the blades, it’s been scalping one small area about an inch deeper than the rest. Sure enough the center blade was bent so I took it off and replaced it with a spare one I have. It is almost impossible to bend them back to shape when they bend and it is easy to bend one if you get close to a stump or curb. The bad part is these were the set I just bought last month and so the one didn’t last long, the good part is I have about 5 spares now that are resharpened and still have plenty of life left in them so I at least have a full set of spares when one set gets dull. I took it out the back and cut an area that had the highest grass and it is giving a nice level cut all the way across again.
My Son is going to go out and cut when he gets done with a job he is doing today.
The two furballs sure are lost with the kid’s in school they lay around and mope until Nicole hits the door at 03:30PM the they are both all excited and won’t hardy leave her alone to change out of her school clothes.
Don’t know that this retirement thing is all it’s cut out to be, the truck hasn’t left the garage in two days, and my only outdoor time has been to take the dumpster down and fetch the mail and walk Nicole out in the morning, and then the little grass work today.
If money wasn’t so tight I would hitch up and go to Iowa to shoot trains for 3 or 4 days but the fuel alone is over $125 just for up & back. I remember when fuel was $1.00 and I would make the round trip for about $35. The campground went from $10 a night to $12. but that still includes water and 30amp elect. and the dump station. Plus it is scenically located right along the old Santa Fe  Transcontinental Main Line.
Oh well, one of these days. I’d rather go south for a couple of weeks when the weather gets cold with Donna, than waste money on just me.
I see where my friends AL & KELLY-THE BAYFIELD BUNCH have renamed their new recruit Eve to Pheebe, good idea Al we’ve always given names to our fur guys when we brought them to a new home, They pick it up real quick and how can they forget you guys anyway. It will be an easy one for me to remember since my all time favorite passenger train was the Phoebe Snow, of which I have a model dedicated to my Grandfather that worked for that railroad.
That’s about it for now, hope everyone is having a good day out there in blogland, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna…

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about fuel costs. They are going to make a big difference in how far we travel for awhile. But we will be heading south before the snow flies up here. If we were close by I'd join you for the trains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that diesel fuel is a real killer, but I won't let it keep us home this winter...(I hope)...That cake looked wonderful..and I do love frosting..I always ate the frosting roses off a cake first..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motorhome holds 80 gallons of that expensive diesel. I tossed $160 bucks in when we got home and it was only 42 gallons. Didn't come close to filling it. Maybe it will come down some this fall. But heating season will be upon us and that always causes it to go back up......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. .that diesel is a killer on the budget for camping. We are trying to go half as far, so we can go just as often as we used to.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Karen and Steveio
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake! I don't bake then because I can't leave it alone. I'd eat the whole thing and regret it later. It is frustrating that the price of fuel has stayed so high,

    ReplyDelete