Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Meanderings.

Up at 04:30PM with my bride for coffee, then she was off to the truck company for the day.

Rigg’s and I got another hours nap. Then I started reading blogs.

About 09:00AM I got out all the ingredients need for my Grandmother’s secret recipe Meatballs. Mixed everything up and from 3 lbs of beef I got 27 meatballs. Of course I have to put eight of them aside for my son Andy as he prefers his without sauce.I then put them in the refrigerator to be cold for when I mixed the sauce up.

About 01:00PM I got the meat out and mixed up a big pot of sauce almost didn’t have room in it for all the meat, I also put a couple of Italian Sausages in the sauce to simmer. set it on low and the kitchen will smell good all day.

Meatballs06-11-12a

                            Fresh from the skillet.

Meatballs06-11-12b

                         Simmering in the sauce.

You should have seen Rigg’s when the frying and simmering is going on,he staked out a place right under my feet by the cook station in the hopes that something would hit the floor.No luck Rigg’s, but I am sure he was in smell overload all day.

Hey KAREN & STEVEO remember the batch I made up at your place in your kitchen. Probably could have smelled it as you drove up the driveway.

Today we had a pretty bad storm roll through this morning, no hail, but high winds and rain that bounced a couple feet when it hit the concrete patio. It rained hard for about 15 minutes and then slowed down and about noon it quit and now it is cloudy and muggy.

Donna has a Doctor’s appointment on her way home today so maybe we will have some news on the CT test.

I am hoping the electrician will be out to remount our electric meter this week and then if it’s sunny next week I will call Adam and head for the Lake for a week or so. aside from charging you $3.00 to use the pool, The Lake is free for swimming. But it is just as cheap to eat out of the fiver as it is for groceries at home so why not enjoy the outdoors and if you’re a water nut like Adam & I your in heaven. Donna says the two of us should have gills or webbed toes like Rigg’s.

I know I might have told this before, but for you new guys. my Grandfather & Grandmother Genett were both born in Calbria Italy and came to the US after WW1. My mother Angelica Genett was born shortly after they arrived and settled in Dunmore Pa. My Mother and Grand Mother are the ones that taught all the kid’s the basics of cooking and I managed to get the recipes for all the stuff I like of Italian nature. That explains why you read about my Ravioli’s, Cannelloni's, Pizza, Rigatoni Carbonara, and Meatballs that can’t be beat. A side note both my Grandparents learned to read and write English within 10 years of being here. My Grandfather would not allow the women to speak in Italian when they were working in the canning room or cooking, although they did. My Mother could speak Italian. When I was in my 30’s my Mom called and said guess what, I gave you the wrong name. Both My twin brother and I were named for our Grandfathers, I said what do you mean Mom. She said one of her Aunts had died and they found a copy of Grandpa’s baptismal certificate from Italy and his name on it was Savino Gianetta, it was then that she found out that when they came through Ellis Island he was given a new American name, Sam Genett. He was so proud of being an American he obliterated all history of his old name.

I told my Mom I liked the name I had since it only had three letters no matter how drunk you got you could usually remember it. Maybe that’s the reason I am like my Grandfather and proud to be an American. PS he was the air raid warden for his neighborhood during WW2.

Well that’s about it for now. I hope everyone is having a good week. be safe out there. Sam & Donna……

9 comments:

  1. I went to Ellis Island back in 2007 when we first got the trailer and went on the big Eastern trip. What an imposing place! Man when they told you that you were doing something that was it, that's exactly what you did. They could send you back for looking cross eyed at them. I had pictures but it was before I began the blog on blogger. Its somewhere on Yahoo blogs but I can't find it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a picture from back then:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodphotos/1439990687/in/photostream

    And another:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodphotos/1440849046/in/photostream/

    This was NYC from the ferry going to Ellis Island:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodphotos/1440853170/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine coming from a small village, in steerage on some small liner, and seeing this huge building full of authority figures,a scary thought indeed, Thanks for sharing the pictures Rod,my GrandDad died when I was 16 so I never got to really talk to him about his experiences. Thanks again. Sam..

      Delete
  3. No wonder you are such a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the name Sam also. So your Mom did good when she named you. Sure hope we get your way some day for some of that good Italian food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great family history!! Love them Italians and their great recipes....Hugs to Donna...and you...and your family...and give the dogs a big wet dog lips kiss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Buffalo Burgers last night, but reading your Blog still made my mouth water!! I love Italian food. Come to think of itt,,,I just love FOOD period!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I can smell the meatballs and sauce from here and it smells so good. Now I am hungry. Love the story of your grandparents and your name. Have a great day. Hope Donna's appointment is good news.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmmm I recall that day perfectly when you took over my kitchen, kicked me out, and said you were cooking supper! LOL LOL LOL

    here is the post:
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/2011/06/visits-with-weaving-and-rving-friends.html

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete