Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tuesday Thoughts.

Was up at 04:30AM for coffee with my bride, then she was off to the truck company and Rigg’s and I had a short nap.

I have to find a way to get the deck up into the back of my truck, it weighs about 200 lbs. and my Son is at work on a couple of roofs he is helping put on like he did ours last year.

deck damage10-02-12c

                            The complete deck.

deck damage10-02-12a

               The damaged idler pulley mount.

I used to own an oxygen-acetylene tank set that would get  that broken stud  hot enough to drive out, but about 15 years ago some guy blew up his house through carelessness with a set of tanks and now they are not allowed in residential houses, you can only rent them now and not purchase the tanks and hoses and torches.

So I will have to take the deck to the John Deere dealer to have the stud replaced and a new pulley put on.  I know that will cost a pretty penny because anything from John Deere is a high buck item.

Not much going on besides that it was dumpster day so I took the dumper down this morning. but that was about it for chores, like I said I still would like to go over the grass a couple more times before throwing some seed out and leaving it for winter, I have to seed and straw where the burn pile used to be and then leave it for the winter.

Can’t believe its October already, we are still having mild days in the 70’s but the nights are dipping into the 40’s and 50’s and it won’t be long maybe just a couple weeks before it starts to go below freezing at night. Usually right around Halloween you start with hard freezes at night.

I know most of the snowbird crowd is starting to head south already. Boy I wish Donna and I were heading out with them. Maybe next year.

That’s about it from the Ranch for today. Hope all is well in Blog land. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna……

5 comments:

  1. Come on out to AZ...no freeze here! Hope you didn't lift that 200lb deck yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we had our 2006 F250, Len got some type of a lift at Harbor Freight and installed it in the bed of the truck. It came in handy when we were living in the rig fulltime for a yr before taking off, especially since we had 100 lb propane tanks that he took to be refilled.

    This lift came in handy for so many things. I've told him he really should install one in this truck.

    You need something like this. Do NOT even attempt to lift that deck yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get some help soon to load that deck into your truck - it looks like a real back breaker so don't try it yourself. Hope the J.D. dealer gives you a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That idler pulley bearing is a fairly common problem, as I had the same issue with mine... On the last mower deck, but I thought the metal part was only bolted to the deck and I took it to the press. I can't see on your deck because it is obscured by the yard junk that has built up... I have that same junk on the top of my new deck too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod the one idler that is left is attached to the deck with a movable spring bracket and is what keeps the tension on the belt when it is running,the broken idler is welded to the base so the whole deck has to be off to press it out.When I looked at the parts list on the Deere web site and at the dealers they don't even show this bracket stud and pulley. Sam....

      Delete