Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.


Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday Mumblings.

Today turned into a nice mild sunny day with a temp about 57degrees reached in the early afternoon, had to make a grocery run this morning, then just kicked back and watched a movie. I am saving going to see Unstoppable in the regular show until I get home and then  I can go with Donna & Adam to a show & supper.

As I might have mentioned my sister Wendy is a cat person and has three resident cat’s.  The  one that will actually pay a little attention to me is Noah, he is a large male Siamese, and will come over and rub  against my leg until I give him a pet and and let me pet his head and neck, until he’s had enough and then off he goes. Like most cat’s I’ve seen he is very independent and doesn’t come when called. He has somewhat accepted me and sleeps outside my bedroom door or on the landing.



The two females are Jasmine who is the oldest and Arie, who I call Airhead. Airhead is the youngest and is a typical kid, without a care in the world. Neither of them show any interest in me just Wendy, they are not men’s cat’s. They are both black and Airhead has white paws.

To make sure I know who’s boss and runs the place Jasmine has decided a good place to take her afternoon snoozes is in my suitcase on top of my folded clothes,


                      Jasmine’s new bed.

I can imagine what Rigg’s will think when he see’s that, I already told her she’s lucky he stayed in MO or there would be a new top man in this place.

Every morning at 05:30am the three of them are waiting for me to come out of my bedroom and go down to the kitchen, and then they stake out their places while i fill their food bowls and water dishes. Didn’t take them long to get me trained. Airhead hid when I started to take pictures so she will have to wait for hers.

Well it’s a slow news day here in Scranton, no mine collapses, no job’s and lot’s of older cars at the market, reminds me of my bus trip down to the coal region of Kentucky, much the same poverty here. It appears if you don’t work at the State Office Building downtown or the Tobyhanna Army Depot, or one of the retail stores you don’t work. Still amazed at the number of Pizza shops here, they are all Mom & Pop operations, hardly a chain store in the whole area. I guess they all share the market, one advantage is they are good and for a cheese pizza the price is about $7.00 Compare that to $18.00 for an extra large Imo’s in St Louis. The amount of food is comparable because they are square pieces and thicker than an Imo’s. I can buy the shells and make it only a little cheaper at home two shells, square. is $2.50 and a can of sauce is $1.00, and a lb of cheese is $5.00. But that makes two pizza’s for a total of $8.50.

I am going to post a story that Paul & Helen Tempesta  PAUL,HELEN,JODIE,COCO,&SANDY sent Donna , as she said have a hankie ready..

If you are a dog lover you will really love this story, even if you aren't I bet you will be moved.

Great Dog Story!


They told me the big black Lab's name was Reggie,
as I looked at him lying in his pen..  The shelter was
clean, no-kill, and the people really friendly.
I'd only been in the area for six months, but everywhere
I went in the small college town, people were welcoming and open.  
Everyone waves when you pass them on the street.
But something was still missing as I attempted to
settle in to my new life here, and I thought a dog
couldn't hurt.  Give me someone to talk to.
And I had just seen Reggie's advertisement on the local
news.  The shelter said they had received numerous
calls right after, but they said the people who had come
down to see him just didn't look like "Lab
people," whatever that meant.  They must've thought I did.
But at first, I thought the shelter had misjudged me in giving me Reggie and his things,
which consisted of a dog pad, bag of toys almost all of which were brand new tennis
balls, his dishes, and a sealed letter from his previous owner.  See, Reggie and I didn't really hit it off
when we got home.  We struggled for two weeks (which is how long the shelter told me to give him to adjust to his new home).  Maybe it was the fact that I was trying to adjust, too. 
Maybe we were too much alike.
For some reason, his stuff (except for the tennis balls --- he wouldn't go anywhere without two stuffed in
his mouth) got tossed in with all of my other unpacked boxes. 
I guess I didn't really think he'd need all his old stuff, that I'd get him new things once he
settled in.  But it became pretty clear pretty soon that he wasn't going to.
I tried the normal commands the shelter told me he knew, ones like "sit" and "stay" and
"come" and "heel," and he'd follow them - when he felt like it.
He never really seemed to listen when I called his name --- sure, he'd look in my
direction after the fourth or fifth time I said it, but then he'd just go back to doing whatever. 
When I'd ask again, you could almost see him sigh and then grudgingly obey.
This just wasn't going to work.  He chewed a couple shoes and some unpacked boxes. 
I was a little too stern with him and he resented it, I could tell.
The friction got so bad that I couldn't wait for the two
weeks to be up, and when it was, I was in full-on search
mode for my cell phone amid all of my unpacked stuff.  I
remembered leaving it on the stack of boxes for the guest
room, but I also mumbled, rather cynically, that the
"damn dog probably hid it on me."
Finally I found it, but before I could punch up the
shelter's number, I also found his pad and other toys
from the shelter...I tossed the pad in Reggie's
direction and he snuffed it and wagged, some of the most
enthusiasm I'd seen since bringing him home.  But
then I called, "Hey, Reggie, you like that?  Come
here and I'll give you a treat."  Instead, he sort of glanced in my direction --- maybe "glared"
is more accurate --- and then gave a discontented sigh and flopped down .... with his back to me.
Well, that's not going to do it either, I thought.  And I punched the shelter phone number.
But I hung up when I saw the sealed envelope.
I had completely forgotten about that, too.
"Okay, Reggie,"  I said out loud,
"let's see if your previous owner has any advice."
____________ _________ _________ _________

Whoever Gets My Dog:

Well, I can't say that I'm happy you're reading this, a letter I told the shelter
could only be opened by Reggie's new owner.
I'm not even happy writing it.  If you're reading this,

it means I just got back from my last car ride with my Lab
after dropping him off at the shelter.
He knew something was different.
I have packed up his pad and toys before and set them by the back door before a trip,
but this time... it's like he knew something was wrong.

And something is wrong...which is why I have
to go to try to make it right.

So let me tell you about my Lab in the hopes that it

will help you bond with him and he with you.
First, he loves tennis balls.
The more the merrier.  Sometimes I think he's part
squirrel, the way he hordes them.  He usually always
has two in his mouth, and he tries to get a third in
there.  Hasn't done it yet.  Doesn't
matter where you throw them, he'll bound after it, so be
careful - really don't do it by any roads.  I made
that mistake once, and it almost cost him dearly.
Next, commands.  Maybe the shelter staff already told you, but I'll go over them
again:  Reggie knows the obvious ones ---
"sit,"  "stay,"  "come," "heel." 

He knows hand signals:
"back" to turn around and go back when you put
your hand straight up; and "over" if you put your
hand out right or left.  "Shake" for shaking
water off, and "paw" for a high-five.  He
does "down" when he feels like lying down --- I bet
you could work on that with him some more.  He knows
"ball" and "food" and "bone"
and "treat" like  nobody's business.
I trained Reggie with small food treats.

Nothing opens his ears like little pieces of hot dog.
Feeding schedule:  twice a day,
once about seven in the morning, and again at six in
the evening.   Regular store-bought stuff; the shelter
has the brand.
He's up on his shots.
Call the clinic on  9th Street  and update his info with
yours; they'll make sure to send you reminders for when
he's due.  Be forewarned:  Reggie hates the vet.

Good luck getting him in the car.
I don't know how he knows when it's time to go to the vet, but he knows.
Finally, give him some time.
I've never been married, so it's only been Reggie
and me for his whole life.  He's gone everywhere
with me, so please include him on your daily car rides if
you can.  He sits well in the backseat, and he
doesn't bark or complain.  He just loves to be
around people, and me most especially.
Which means that this transition is
going to be hard, with him going to live with someone new.
And that's why I need to share
one more bit of info with you....
His name's not Reggie.
I don't know what made me do it, but

when I dropped him off at the shelter, I told them
his name was Reggie.

He's a smart dog, he'll get used to it
and will respond to it, of that I have no
doubt.  But I just couldn't bear to give them his
real name.  For me to do that, it seemed so final, that
handing him over to the shelter was as good as me admitting
that I'd never see him again.  And if I end up
coming back, getting him, and tearing up this letter, it
means everything's fine.  But if someone else is
reading it, well ... well it means that his new owner should
know his real name.  It'll help you bond with
him.  Who knows, maybe you'll even notice a change
in his demeanor if he's been giving you problems.
His real name is "Tank".
Because that is what  I drive.
Again, if you're reading this
and you're from the area, maybe my name has been on the
news.  I told the shelter that they couldn't make
"Reggie" available for adoption until they
received word from my company commander.  See, my
parents are gone, I have no siblings, no one I could've
left Tank with ... and it was my only real request of the
Army upon my deployment to  Iraq  , that they make one phone..
call the shelter ... in the "event" ... to tell
them that Tank could be put up for adoption.  Luckily,
my colonel is a dog guy, too, and he knew where my platoon
was headed.  He said he'd do it
personally.  And if you're reading this, then
he made good on his word.
Well, this letter is getting downright depressing,

even though, frankly, I'm just
writing it for my dog.  I couldn't imagine if I was
writing it for a wife and kids and family ... but still,
Tank has been my family for the last six years, almost as
long as the Army has been my family.
And now I hope and pray that you
make him part of your family and that he will adjust and
come to love you the same way he loved me.
That unconditional love from a dog
is what I take with me to Iraq as an inspiration to do
something selfless, to protect innocent people from those
who would do terrible things ... and to keep those terrible
people from coming over here.  If I have to give up Tank
in order to do it, I am glad to have done so.  He is
my example of service and of love.  I hope I honored
him by my service to my country and comrades.
All right, that's enough.
I deploy this evening and have to drop this letter off at
the shelter.  I don't think I'll say another
good-bye to Tank, though.  I cried too much the first
time.  Maybe I'll peek in on him and see if he
finally got that third tennis ball in his mouth.
Good luck with Tank.  Give him a good home,

and give him an extra kiss goodnight - every night - from me.
Thank you,

Paul Mallory
____________ _________ _________ _______

I folded the letter and slipped it back in the envelope.
Sure I had heard of Paul Mallory, everyone in town knew him, even
new people like me.  Local kid, killed in Iraq a few months ago and posthumously earning the Silver Star
when he gave his life to save three buddies. 
Flags had been at half-mast all summer.
I leaned forward in my chair and rested my elbows on my knees, staring at the dog.
"Hey, Tank," I said quietly.
The dog's head whipped up, his ears cocked and his eyes bright.
"C'mere boy."
He was instantly on his feet, his nails clicking on
the hardwood floor.  He sat in front of me, his head
tilted, searching for the name he hadn't heard in months.
"Tank," I whispered.
His tail swished.
I kept whispering his name, over and over, and each
time, his ears lowered, his eyes softened, and his posture
relaxed as a wave of contentment just seemed to flood
him.  I stroked his ears, rubbed his shoulders, buried
my face into his scruff and hugged him.
"It's me now, Tank, just you and me.
Your old pal gave you to me."  Tank reached up and
licked my cheek.  "So whatdaya say we play some ball ?" 
His ears perked again.
"Yeah?  Ball?  You like that?  Ball?" 
Tank tore from my hands and disappeared in the next room.
And when he came back, he had three tennis balls in his mouth.

If you can read this without getting a lump in your throat or a tear in your eye, you just ain’t right..

I know it’s long, but sheesh, even this old guy was impressed. I couldn’t help but notice how much Tank looked like Rigg’s, I hope if ever anything happens to me & Donna there is someone to care for Rigg’s. Hey, be safe out there. Sam & Donna.


  1. Being such a huge dog lover..it made it cry. Thanks for a great story.

  2. Sam I have both the lump and tear. What a great story thanks for sharing it with us. From one lab guy to a another.

  3. what a great story!..dang it...tears here too!..but of course you knew that when you posted it!!..

  4. Thanks for sharing...and just like Annie (Bruce & Margie's little gal) has someone to love on her I am sure if anything happens to you and Donna...Riggs will be loved on.