Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday Happenings.

Up at the usual 04:30AM, Noticed right away it was snowing and had about an inch accumulated, the temp was 20 degrees with a wind chill of 10deg. At 05:00AM got a call from Shana who asked if I could get out to Warrenton and pick Adam Up since his school was canceled and he is off until Tuesday now. I got dressed and headed out for the 25 mile drive in the snow, The minute I got up the street and put the brake on for the first time I immediately found out that under the snow was black ice. Luckily I had no one in front of me and stayed on a straight course. But now I knew that my speed and braking would be severely limited for this trip. Saw a couple of plow trucks out once I was on the interstate but they were just plowing and not salt shaking so the road stayed slippery. Got out to Warrenton and picked up Adam and then headed home, since eastbound is now the direction of people heading for work the traffic picked up and we passed four accidents, one serious with a large single truck upside down along the right side.From the amount of emergency vehicles it was obvious someone had been hurt or worse.When we finally got to the exit to Hwy61 where we get off the Interstate was at a standstill and stayed that way for several hours. I was lucky and got off and was home right away. Total driving time in this junk, two hours 30 minutes, in what is normally a 35 minute drive each way.I think the last snow I drove in was in the bus, and now I remember why I didn’t care for it. That’s why my truck stays in the garage normally when it’s bad weather.

Snow01-12-12

           Snowy morning at the Weeb Ranch.

All the Grandkid’s are here at the Ranch for a change, Although Nicole lives with us, Adam & Chris just get here on selected weekends when their Mom or Dad decides they want time off from parenting.

Adam,Chris&Rigg's01-12-11a

                  Lunch time at the Weeb Ranch.

The kid’s are enjoying their extra snow day off school and are playing xbox and also Rigg’s & Sadie are getting a workout playing with the kid’s and just  plain happy to have the extra company.

Grandpa is enjoying the sounds of kids at play and just having them around, we will probably go out in the yard if the snow is enough to make a snowman.

My son Andy got called out to plow at 01:00AM he just made it back in the house at 01:00PM 12 hour shift, he said they will call tonight if they are needed tonight.

That’s about it for today here in Dardenne Prairie, hope everyone out there in blogland is having a great day. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna…

9 comments:

  1. Icy and snowy roads are one of the things that I absolutely don't miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind snow, but the patches of ice can be deadly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow, Yuck!

    Mike and Dee
    gonerving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you and Andy arrived safe and sound. I have always hated driving on snow and ice. Don't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only like snow if I can be inside watching it..not on the roads in it! Sounds like Illinois is getting it too...sucks to be them :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh hate that Black Ice! We are still snowing here, not quitting till sometime tomorrow. Hope Donna makes it home safe from the restaurant tonight!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the optimistic side of the snow is at least you had some good company. Hope the warm weather returns. Or come visit us over here in California. You would more then likely even catch up to more then a few of your blog buddies. Hope to see you out here sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. snow is pretty if you don't have to drive anywhere...they are forecasting some of the white stuff for us this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a nice, warm inside weekend with the Grands. Better get out the pizza!

    ReplyDelete