Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thursday Happenings.

Up early with my bride and then she was off for another full double at the truck company & restaurant. Adam & I had to make due on a cold and off and on rainy day, it stayed in the low 30’s all day. This morning I went to the grocery stores with a list for our Christmas meals, Donna will work Sat ( Christmas Eve ) at the restaurant, they are supposed to close real early, Then she will have off Sun and Monday.

So here is the plan, Christmas we will have our traditional 4 inch tall Homemade Lasagna, that bride of mine for not being an Italian born, sure learned to make a great Lasagna from my Mom & I. Then Monday I bought a nice Ham and we will have a baked Ham, with Au gratin Potatoes,& corn fritters. All three of which are way up my favorites list. The kids Andy & Samanatha with Nicole will be going to Oklahoma Christmas Day to visit with Samantha folks. So Monday Donna I & will be home alone. First time in a long, long time. maybe Ill chase her around the cook station with the pancake turner, or the tongs just for fun.

While I was waiting for the bus yesterday to bring Adam home. I was listening to my radio and I thought of AL and his appreciation of music.

I too like several different types of music, most older Country & Western, and especially the 60’to 70’s, maybe that’s because while we were flying in the Navy we would dial up AM stations on our low freq ADF radio, ( direction finder). Especially some of the foreign stations that must have been nuclear powered for the range they had, here in the states the FCC limited the power output of our stations. Anyway I chuckle every time my son Andy calls 60’s music, old peoples music or dead guys music. I still haven’t found anything that remotely compares to it., Want to charge up your feelings put Born to be Wild on, and what about, Do you love me by the Contours, Just about any Bob Seger, Want you bride to hold you tight, how about Slow Dancing, or Unchained Melodies. By the Righteous Brothers.Yep music sure can change your mood and sometimes your day. I still have one hit wonders that were popular in regions but not nationwide, anybody remember To much to dream last Night by the Electric Prunes, or The Little Black Egg by the Night Crawlers, Saw them both at the Jax Beach Auditorium in concert before leaving on a cruise in 67. How about Nobody by the Human Beans or Who can hear What a Wonderful World and not think of the movie Good Morning Viet Nam. I still like the version with the sounds of Hueys flying by.

Wow what a memory trip every time I put that cd in I am carried back to the cockpit of a helicopter, or maybe I’m just getting old, That’s probably it. Thanks for allowing me to bare my feelings and thoughts, Blogs are great for that.

Well that’s about it for today, the kid’s are playing in the living room and since Adam is going home tomorrow and I only have two PA pizza shells left I told him I would move pizza night up to Thursday this week and make us a big square pie.

Before I forget here is a picture of the three Grands.

Adam.Nick&SadieXmas2011b

Adam, Nicole, & Sadie say Merry Christmas..

Everyone have a great day, and Be safe out there. Sam & Donna….

9 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more about the days when each and every distinct piece of music was just that. A distinct piece of music. Songs and tunes were written by intelligent and talented people. Each song stood on it's own merits. Each song was different from each and every other song. The proof of all this is still evidenced today as those songs have stood the test of time. Music is the closest thing we humans have to a time machine. With each song the mind is instantly transported back in time to a specific set of memories. Now, how great is that for most of us:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too Much to Dream by the Electric Prunes sounds like a song for an old man with constipation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering how you make your corn fritters? Haven't had any good ones since the ones my grandma used to make. Not a real popular item in the west I guess. You be careful chasing your bride around the kitchen with a spatula - you might get more than you bargained for lol!! Love the old tunes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That music is GREAT!!!
    Have a wondeful evening...
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK..It's a music kind of night..Best slow dance music was Sea of Love, by the Honeydrippers (One hit wonder), Wonderful Tonight, by Eric Clapton..and my personal fave, Lady In Red, by Chris DeBurgh..Whew..wonder if MacGyver would like to "trip the light fantastic" in the Hiker later:-)))))?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al of the Bayfield Bunch has a lot to answer for. Most of the last week I've been listening to Zoomer radio on line.

    Now I'm going to date myself a bit. What about this
    It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
    One-eyed, one-horned flyin' purple people eater
    One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
    Sure looks strange to me (One horn?)

    a 1958 hit.

    I can remember parties when it was played over and over.

    Wishing you and Donna and family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

    Blessings from Anne and John New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went to the Dutton's music show last night and the Dad did a song about Mom baking Christmas cookies. The cutest line was the one about the 18 minutes while they were baking was the best time for kissing and cuddling. Really a great song. I love, love, love music - especially from the 50's and 60's. My son likes dubstep - which is nothing but noise. I just don't get it but I think I remember that's what my folks said about the Beatles.

    Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. boy I may be younger than the other commenters but I still remember some of those songs!!..love the honeydrippers one!!..the Sea of Love...even if they were a one hit wonder..that one was a keeper!!!
    my new fave is Knee Deep by the Zac Brown Band!..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Uncle Sam- just stopped by to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I love checking in on you guys via your blog =) Give our Love to Aunt Donna and the boys...
    Love you guys,
    Geae

    ReplyDelete