Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

HEY EVERYBODY, ITS DONNA

First thing I want to do is thank everyone for their concern and best wishes while I have been ill. Makes you feel better just knowing there are so many caring people in blogland. The pneumonia bug really did hit me hard this time, but am now almost back to my old self and ready to take on the world. Some thought I was nuts to be in an e.r. at night and back to work the next day, but have found, especially with pneumonia, the worst thing I can do is lay around. The fluid builds up too much in my lungs.  Then to top if off, on Fridays if I have been good all week on watching my fat and cholesterol, I treat myself to fast food breakfast. Apparently this Friday I got some bad food and had a mild case of food poisoning.  I know my long hours are a concern to everyone, but its what I am used to, couldnt tell you the last decade I worked a 40 hour week, have always been a certified workaholic,but I come by it naturally, my Dad was also one.  For many years I was a manager of a large 24 hour facility and that is not a 40 hour job. The job I have now at the logistics company is a sit on your butt and crunch numbers all day. I love the restaurant, active, around interesting people, many who have become good friends.  Many of you in your pre-retirement worked, came home cut grass, ran the kids around etc, so I just look at it that way.  To paraphrase a country song 'if your going through hell dont slow down keep on going before the devil even knows you're there'. Well, I figure if I dont slow down my age wont catch up with me :-) Just in my nature to go.  Donna of Cave Dwellers thinks I ought to get a spoon and Crisco, which really cracked me up. It reminded me when I was young I could never dive under water, butt just wouldnt go down...my dad jokingly called me Crisco, meaning fat in the can. One day in the not too distant future I will retire from the 70 to 80 hour weeks, but my body would probably go into shock if I didnt do something, either work part time or volunteer somewhere.
Now I want to tell you about two very remarkable people. Paul and Helen of http://ptempesta.blogspot.com/
They treated me like a queen while we were at their home. They will always hold a special place in my heart. Helen is a natural born nurturer. The 3 birds we brought them as an unexpected gift got more care from her than their mother probably would have given them. She religiously every hour would stop whatever she was doing to feed them, make sure they had a clean 'nest' and in general fussed over them.  They both do such much for so many people and animals they wear me out just thinking about what they do. They travel hundreds of miles to make sure a rescue dog is going to a good home before they will relinquish them, they travel to meet up with other rescuers to get dogs to their final destination, they foster pregnant dogs and care for them and their pups until they are old enough to be adopted.  They are constantly helping anyone that needs a hand or just someone that needs a kind listening ear.  They treated Sam, Riggins and myself so wonderfully, I cant thank them enough
Well, guess I have rambled on long enough...but do want you to know how much I appreciate everyones concerns, but hey I'm Irish (fiery) German (stubborn as they come) and Scottish (squeeze a nickel) so I'm going to be okay, now if I can only get Sam to stop worrying, he's got enough gray already.

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are on the mend - great post, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are no doubt one of those people who get pneumonia at the drop of a hat. Or should I have said at the sound of a sneeze.

    Every nice comments about your friends and their great hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Donna, that Irish/German/Scottish explanation at the end certainly sums everything up & answers all questions for & from everyone. All the best to you and....'You go Girl':))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear you are feeling better. But I hate to tell you this - spouses are going to worry no matter what you do. Believe me, I know. Just take good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the advantage to have met you and Sam...and I know how determined you are...Keep on keepin' on, girlfriend...Those stubborn genes will see ya through...Great blog...(no offense, Sam)...we needed to hear from you personally!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to hear you are on the mend, Donna!..take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear from you Donna. You sure sound in great spirits.

    I thought Donna's (Cave Dwellings) comment about a spoon and Crisco was gross - yuk!! Instead, I'd like to suggest a spoon and a big carton of Haagen-Daz ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear from you Donna. If you're okay with your schedule, then so am I!! But don't you think you could just bottle up some of that energy and sell it on the internet? I'll take two quarts to go please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I guess I don't understand the work-a-holic thing. I'm completely the opposite.

    Paul and Helen sound like wonderful people. I love people that love and help animals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha,,,well done Donna! Bless you guys heart....what a wonderful couple... I sure hope we get to meet in person someday...
    Now get to work!!:-)

    ReplyDelete