Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Friday, November 25, 2011

TGIF

We were up at 04:30AM and had our coffee, Donna has to go in a half day at the truck company and then tonight at the restaurant.

I decided since Rural King opened on Black Friday at 06:00AM I would leave the house at 05:15AM in case there were a few in line. Surely the real shoppers would be at Best Buys, and Wal-Mart or K-Mart. BURRPP…. wrong as I drove onto the lot there was already a line of about 60 people. I had no other choice but get out in the cold and join the other fools. The whole time I was thinking, they only showed 2 of those generators in stock surely I can’t be so lucky as to have no buddy else wanting one in this crowd. Finally they unlocked the door and I did an end run around the middle aisle and got directly to the  power driven aisle, and there they were like an oasis in the dessert Two 3500E electric start generators just as pretty as you please. One was a floor model and the other was in the box, so I loaded the box onto a cart and then I still had to buy a power cord adapter for the twist lock socket and a couple quarts of oil. Went to check out which was another 30 minute line and madhouse, The generator, which started out at $399, ended up being $319, after the Black Friday 20% discount. The cord was $21, and the oil about $6. with tax it came to $371.00. Still less than the $399 I started at and that was what the 2000 watt model was going for when I looked at them last summer. Here’s the new baby.

generator11-25-11a

                                  New in the box.

generator11-25-11b

                            Front view. Wire is 10 ga. shouldn’t get hot.

generator11-25-11c

                   Gen side, good sized muffler.

generator11-25-11d

         Engine end, can be hand started also.

This afternoon I will fill it with oil, put some gas in it and hitch up the battery and charge it. Then give it a test run. What’s nice is the fuel shut off, you can shut the valve and run it out of fuel in the lines and the carb will stay clean and varnish free. A few ounces of Sta-Bil in the gas tank and it will be ready to go just by turning on the fuel valve.

Will I ever do Black Friday Morning again, NAW, can’t be lucky twice in that game.

Donna and I did our Thanksgiving Dinner at Hometown Buffet in O’Fallon, we got there at 04:00PM and it was a madhouse to with about a 30 minute line already. Doesn’t anybody cook at home any more, the place was loaded with young families. If it wasn’t just the two of us we would have cooked a turkey at home, since it was the only place in town open we had to wait it out in line, but I will say the food was good and hot and there was plenty of it.

Well I’ll get this out for posting. WE hope Y’all had a great holiday and enjoy your long weekend. Rigg’s is bugging for me to go in on the bed and take a nap with him, he missed his morning nap after Donna leaves where we get an hour before Nicole goes to school.

Everyone be safe out there. Sam & Donna…

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got up and in line at such an hour. But I sure am glad you got your generator. We are definitely not hitting the stores this morning. We took my Aunt to Black Angus yesterday and the place was packed with all kinds of lines. We had reservations so we were good to go. But I agree, why aren't these families (with all the kids) cooking at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you got the generator you went for. It would have been depressing to get up that early in the cold and be told they were sold out already!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good deal on the generator, now you will be all set for some boondocking! Get a good charger and a couple extra batteries hooked up and you will be Good To Go!!!!

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your early morning efforts paid off. Nice looking generator. Glad you got in and got a good meal at the buffet. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree...with kids peeps should be at home making TG memories, complete with the Turkey roasting smells and Macy's parade..It don't get no better than that! Glad you got your generator...We have one, but never boondocked..yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You folks get up every morning at 4:30 anyway, so its not such a stretch to be over at Rural King by 5:30. Did cut down on your coffee time though. Looks to be a nice genny, and I like that big muffler. I will be interested to hear how much noise it makes when it is running. 3.5 KW for $320 is a steal anyway you look at it! I would have been all done when I hit that line up outside as I don't have much patience with things like that though....

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have to do another early morning line up shopping trip at least you can take your generator along and brew up a pot of hot coffee for eveybody:))

    ReplyDelete