Riggins with little brother Charlie and little sister Sadie.

Followers

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday Happenings.

It was a cold 18 degrees when I got up this morning, it looks like it will slowly warm up today to 36 degrees, that will be welcome around here.

We had our morning coffee and Donna headed out to the truck company, tonight she has the restaurant, so I will be fixing supper for one, I have a lot of choices though, Rigg's and Sadie played the afternoon away, they sure know how to entertain each other, Rigg's has never been much of a barker, a couple of woof's if he hears a car coming up the drive, you never get a growl out of him, Sadie on the other hand makes up for size by being vocal, she joins right in when Rigg's woofs, and when they are playing tug she growls lustily, and Rigg's just silently tugs, it quite funny to watch the two of them at play.

Watched a movie today on Trolleys, or streetcars in Scranton PA and Wilkes Barre Pa in the 40's and 50's. It was so neat to see all the streets I knew and the old cars and the way people dressed and the way the houses looked before remodeling. I was 5years old when the last streetcar ran so I barely remember them, but I know they provided the way to work for most people back then when not everyone owned a car.

Now the County provides bus service , but it is a shell of what it used to be two or three runs a day , when I was a kid a bus came along every 15 minutes or so.

Another slow day around Dardenne Prairie, It was trash day so I went and got the dumpster after it was emptied.Not much else going on, I hope we are done with snow for awhile. I hope to hear from Adam to pick him up after school tomorrow, Chris and Nicole will be coming over for the weekend. So we should have a full house again. I guess I'll plan a pizza night for tomorrow.

That's about it for now, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

8 comments:

  1. Yup, there are a lot of old memories for us oldsters. I have a brother two years longer and the two years makes a big difference in our memories. I remember that my dad would drive the car until the first snowstorm, then he would put it in the garage on blocks until spring. I remember my mother's younger sister going on a sleigh ride with her beau, and taking me along for the ride. This was just a few miles from Downtown Boston.

    I just remember the snow, but I sure don't miss it.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. A weekend full of family food and fun...who could ask for more?? Pizza?? Very healthy...it has all of the major food groups...I"M IN!
    Hey, I need your address...got somethin' for ya....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember Trolleys in Camden, NJ and Phila. I remember crossing the Delaware from Camden to Phila on a Ferry. I was shocked to read a few years ago that Ferry ceased service in 1947! I was born in 1943. It surprised me that I could remember it so clear.

    I wonder if you were living in MO in the summer of 1980. I was working out there then. Gads, that was one hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I am sitting out on the beach I watch all the dogs, there are quite a lot of them. I love watching them play together, running after each other and rolling around on the sand together they are always so gentle with each other. I think it is great that both Rigg's and Sadie get along so well. Good playmates for each other.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Sam, to show I've got a few years on you, I can still remember riding on street cars up until I was about 10 yrs. old! Hope the warmer weather gets rid of some of that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toronto still has streetcars and I loved them as a child! I loved the metal in the pavement for them, the overhead lines...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family weekend sounds great!

    I grew up in a small mining town in the U.P. of Michigan, where trolley cars used to run though for the miners to take them to the mines. They later changed to a big old greyhound bus, but the tracks are still there.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy your week end with the kids. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete